Sunday, December 07, 2008

Goodbyes

My grandmother's funeral was last Thursday, and I was given the opportunity to speak.  Here is my goodbye letter:


Dear Grandma,

I have learned so many things from you throughout my life. When I was little you had patience enough to teach me to crochet, and since then I’ve used the skill to make blankets, toys and doll clothes. I love telling people my grandma taught me, and have to apologize when they ask me to teach them, because I don’t have your patience to sit and show them how. Yet, from watching your example I have always tried to be patient when it’s truly needed. I listen to friends and family with patience, I love with patience, and I learn with patience.

You have always been there for me, with kindness and love in your heart. I could visit you from a long week at university and immediately fall asleep on your couch, because I knew I could lay my burden down. Being in your presence has always allowed me to relax, to shed whatever worries drowning me. All I would need is a look from you to know that everything would be all right. You posses this overwhelming power of understanding, so easily expressed in your eyes, a hug, a touch from your hand. It’s like standing in sunshine.

You faced many challenges and tragedies, but you had sense enough not let them drag you down and own you. Whenever I face something emotionally difficult I think of your strength. If you could live 89 years with joy and forgiveness, I can follow your example and do my best to love and accept all people, and to strongly bear any burden life or God throws my way.
You also taught me your biting sense of humor. It’s always best to laugh when things are hard, or when they’re easy, or to laugh always. The only thing that really matters is to look good while doing it. I still struggle with it today, but having observed your style and the pride you put into your appearance, I dress to impress you.

Thank you so much for supporting me and being my best friend. I don’t want to say goodbye, because I know you will be near in spirit. You will be with me, locked safely in my heart and in my memories. As promised, my children will learn of you and you, and we will continue to celebrate your life and all you have taught me. I will treasure you all my life.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Carley, I am on the verge of tears this is so beautiful. This letter would mean everything to her. You're so lucky to have such a supportive and loving woman like her in your life!
love you tons and tons...
mindy

Anonymous said...

Carley, your letter is wonderful. Please remember to email it to me. LOVE MOM