Thursday, August 19, 2010

So Tired

School starts next week, which means I have been busy with new teacher orientation and getting my room ready this week.

With a broken elbow (see previous post) - which is the sort of broken where you are supposed to ignore the fact that it is broken, but hurts like hell when I push or pull anything.  Such a joy to have a broken wing when I need to fly. (haha haha haha)

JG has also started daycare.  I get to rip out my heart each morning when I leave her behind, bawling and asking me not to leave.  The daycare staff said that sometimes it takes a child up to two months to adjust.

Two months.

I'm hoping that JG is in the swing of things by next week, and I have high hopes for her since everyone I have talked to says that their kid loves it.  And the parents like it too.

In the future I am sure I will like it as well.

Just not so much right now.


And teaching...

Today I went to a... I can't remember the technical term for it, but I went to a Language Arts class for teachers.  Being in a room full of older women who have taught anywhere from 5-20 years makes me uncomfortable.

Why?  Because they all assume I'm a baby, like an 18-year-old they need to coddle and condescend to.  Like "oh, look at how young she is, she obviously has no idea what she's doing."

I understand that I look much younger than I am (I'm 30, by the way), but when I meet women (and it is alway women) who automatically assume I am naive and uneducated, my skin crawls and I shut down a little.

Outside of the workplace I have no problem letting them know they're wrong, but when it's people I will see and work with again I have learned it's better to roll with the punches rather than to bite.  Eventually they will learn what I know and who I am, and I'll just let them make a fool of themselves for the time being.

The funny thing is that I told my new coworker, "Gail", that the ladies behave that way around me and she didn't believe me, until she witnessed it happen from a friend of hers.  Even more hilarious, she put her friend on the spot so we could clear up the misunderstanding.

I am so happy to get to work with this woman.

And now I need to go write my disclosure statement.  So there.

No comments: