Saturday, November 21, 2009

New Moon Review

*Spoiler Alert -- if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to know anything about it, then don't read this*

First of all, thank you to those fine ladies who gave an afternoon of their time to a lonely and fast-talking stay-at-home-mom.  I really appreciate it and I had a blast.  Movies are made all the better when there is someone giggling beside you.

Now to the movie.

I was not as disappointed as I thought I would be.  However, I just have to say that I am utterly confused about the whole basis of the movie -- Edward and Bella's "love" for each other.  Why do they love each other?  All they do is whine about it, and what do they do other than fly through trees and make kissing look painful?  (Seriously, each time they kiss it's like they are either going to jump into bed right there, or they are going to die because of the immense electrocuting pain that must transmit through their lips.  Ouch.)

I do like Jacob though, I guess if I knew I had to take a side it would be his... until he starts to whine about his love for Bella.  Why are these guys so possessive of her anyway?  Jacob is sarcastic, cute, cut, funny, and easy going, which is a nice break from Edward's being... so pale faced and... brooding?  I mean, if I had to point at somebody and tag them as Emo, it would be Edward.

Also, when Bella and Jacob are riding motorcycles and she stupidly runs herself into a boulder, why doesn't he give her a helmet and teach her how to ride rather than saying, "No more motorcycles, it's too dangerous."

It drives me nuts how helpless she is, and how this somehow makes her more desirable to vampires and werewolves.  She's breakable!  And a total klutz!  She bleeds a lot!  I love her!  

However, New Moon compared to Twilight was enjoyable and I didn't rudely break out in laughter more than once... or twice?  I appreciate the director making Jacob be shirtless the majority of the film, but Edward needs to keep his shirt on (vampire pastiness is not a good thing).

All in all, I'm glad I went.  I enjoyed myself.  Jen and I think we should get together more often (ladies?).

Okay, I'm beat.  Going to bed now... or to watch a lot of bad tv.  Whatever.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm still coming down from my sugar rush. I totally agree with you about the Jacob being shirtless aspect of the film. It won't be winning any awards, but it is fun. About the not understanding Bella and Edward's attraction--haven't you ever wanted to be with someone you know isn't good for you? I know the answer to that question. :) YOu should read the book. Edward in my head is much hotter than Edward on the screen.

About movie night, Brewvies now serves liquor on Fri-Sun. $3 well drinks. I'm just sayin . . .

Jessica said...

The best scene was Alice's vision of Bella as a vampire. That was totally hilarious. Personally, I think the movies would be pretty good if you got rid of Edward. I don't get why everyone thinks he's hot. For some reason, it seems like they do a much better job with makeup and everything on the evil vampires.

renostar said...

Sad I missed the outing :( I was pleasantly surprised by everything but the last 15 min...
I'm probably going to see it again though... who am I kidding. If your game, Saturday is feeling like a New Moon do-over day.

PS - I hate MAT and Mexico. They can't make me go!! :(