Monday, April 02, 2007

The Creative Process

I am slower than a tortoise when it comes to my creative process. I take my time thinking about what I'm going to do, then I look at what materials I want to use, then I think about the pattern I would use for the idea and materials, and then I may or may not actually get started on said project. For instance, I'm in the middle of three or five projects. I'm working on my first book, trying to clothe my second cloth doll, I need to attach the legs to my stuffed Italian Greyhound toy, and I think I'm going to get started on a fertility doll soon. As soon as I figure which material (felt, recycled wool sweaters, yarn) I want to use.

It's a never ending process. (A picture of my "crafty area" above...it's a bit cluttered at the moment.)

Last September I interviewed Mimi Kirchner (fantastic doll artist) about her creative process and what drives her. These are things I am always curious about. I set up my digital Marantz recorder and my THAT-2 audio tap (radio equipment I am nerdy enough to own) and called her with a nervous lump in my belly. We talked for an hour, longer than I could have dreamed of, and she was so easy to talk to. The end result was 60 minutes of audio I had to figure out what to do with... cut in six months later when I decided to cut myself out, chunk it into five pieces, and have Mimi tell her story on her own, with only a periodic question from me. She's posted them on her blog here. The first installment is here and the second is here. I'm surprised at all of the responses she's received, they're all really positive. That makes me love the interview art form that much more.




1 comment:

Mindy said...

you have such a gorgeous voice carley- I kinda wish that you didn't cut yourself out of the dialog so much- but i got to hear a few questions from you and hear your great laugh so that was good ;' )
but I really liked your compilation- what an amazing conversation with Mimi. I listened to both several times. I really liked hearing about how she felt about her own work. i loved the section of the conversation about craft and therapy.
great job carley- what a great conversation to allow all of us to hear~