Monday, September 07, 2009

A Summerfull of Events

It's so weird September is here. In May I kept thinking it would be a miracle if I made it through the summer, with all the newness I was encountering then.

Now it's freaking September.

I'm going to be boastful for a moment and say Holy Shit I accomplished a lot in the last (almost) four months:

1. Got my masters degree. Now, I want to note here that the only reason I have a masters degree is because I didn't know I wanted to be a teacher until a couple years ago, and had I known this way back when I was getting my undergrad degree in Communication, I would have gone into education.

However, I will admit that I benefit from having worked in an office. After working with teachers who didn't see the point of having technology in the classroom (what!?) I feel like my perspective is more rounded for my future students...

Whenever I get a teaching job. I guess only 30% of my grad class got jobs. Eh.

2. Gave birth. Mostly natural. I had two doses of Phentynol, a sweet-sweet opiate that helped me relax (which was huge, since I practically had a panic attack with every contraction - mainly hyperventilating) but did hardly anything for the pain. Also, once the pushing began, all drugs had worn off.

The entire process was exhausting, and I was only in labor for 12 hours. I have friends who were in labor for 24 hours.

3. Had anemia. Which SUCKED. I lost so much blood in labor (it happened afterward, with freakishly large blood clots... you don't want to know more than that) that I was given a choice - have blood transfusion or suck it up for six weeks. The idea of a transfusion made my skin crawl, so I spent six weeks shuffling around my house.

Seriously.

I would plan trips for going upstairs, carried iced water around with me like it was a warm blanket, had would have to rest mid-shower. Luckily, when babies are tiny they sleep a lot, so JGR wasn't too demanding during this time.

I hope to never have anemia again. It felt like being a 90-year-old epileptic lady who had to strap herself to a walker to get anywhere, and then had to ask for help CONSTANTLY. And was grumpy about it. And had to wear diapers.

4. Became a stay-at-home mom... for now. I used to think this would be the worst possible thing that could happen. Babies are so boring. I don't understand babies.

Luckily, I was blessed (my favorite baby book always says "blessed" when referring to a fussy baby) with a baby who is demanding, confusing, and un-freaking-predictable.

I realized a while ago that had we been given an "easy/good" baby I would be bored out of my mind.

5. Finished the Testy Chickens! I'll post pictures soon, but it will only be of one, since I entered the other into the Utah State Fair. If you happen by there you might be able to see it in the Zion building, with the other sewing stuff.

I was quite proud of myself.

Now I'm tired. Must to bed.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

your testy chicken is in the state fair?!?! thats so cool!
You've accomplished a TON in the last few months! aarons always saying we overestimate what can be done in 1 month and underestimate what can be done int 3. you proved him right :)