Saturday, January 10, 2009

HEADS!

When it comes to creating something, I deliberate like crazy.  I finished making more heads for the doll clear back in November, but then I had to figure out how to do the faces.  Paint?  Draw?  Leave blank?  Make silly/ugly?  Finally, after drawing one face (which I really wasn't crazy about) I decided to tackle embroidery, just to see if it looked right.  Amazingly enough it did, so this is what I did over Christmas break:

You can see the drawn face in front -- doesn't it look too "sweet?"  Yuck.  Then my first embroidered face is in the back with the blue eyes. It turned out so nicely that I moved on to practice on the face on the left, with the strange yellow eyebrows. 

Hey, I only had crochet string to work with at that point, so I didn't have many color choices.

What did I learn from that one?  Well, pink is a far too light of color to try to make a face with-- it looks sort of too "I lack pigment in my skin, therefore you can barely see my features."  Her mouth is funny too, but for practice sake it's not horrible.  

Finally, the head I will actually be using for the doll is on the right.  I really like how it's turning out... except now it needs a mouth and I'm not sure how to tackle it.  I should just bite the bullet and do it.  Booger.

Next post will be on hair for the head.  The one I've done has turned out pretty nicely, so that makes me happy.  Joy.

No comments: