Saturday, February 13, 2010

Busy Week

This week started out innocently enough.  JG and I laid back and had a relaxing Monday, where JG got bathed, she napped and I sewed monsters.  It was nice, and I wasn't expecting much of the rest of the week.

Until I received a phone call on Tuesday.

From a principal.

Asking if maybe I would be available to teach one biology class at his charter school for the rest of the year.  And could I meet with him to talk about it?

I think my heart stopped.

I've been obsessing lately over money and how in the world can I get out of the house to maintain my sanity? and this sounded a bit like an answer to my prayers.  If I could get through the meeting/interview without making an ass out of myself... which may be a rare thing for me, especially in my "mommy brained" state.

(Mommy brained: the inability to form sentences or remember big words from degrees you have earned, and a general loss of any social graces you may have had before having a child.)

Amazingly enough, I made it through the meeting without sticking my foot in my mouth, and left the interview very hopeful.  When I got the call from the principal an hour later offering me the job (one class of 18 ninth graders) I was thrilled.  Thrilled.  Still am, as a matter of fact, however it hasn't completely hit me yet.  I've had to pause every now and then to think, "Hey, I'm a Biology teacher now!"

Also, I have a lot of cramming to do.  I passed the test to teach the subject, but I like to be knowledgeable when I'm teaching.  I also have a lot of lesson plans to write.  Oh, man, so much time will be spent planning.  It is so awesome.  Seriously.

And the hours are perfect for me.  Five days a week I go in from 8:30-9:30 AM and teach, and I'm getting paid an additional two hours for prep time, which is very sweet of them to do.  So I'll get paid for seven hours every week.  While that may sound minimal to you, it will get me out of the house, give JG an opportunity to spend time with much loved relatives, and I'll get to be a teacher.  A Biology teacher.



A very big thanks to Joan for dropping my name to this principal, and letting him know I'm endorsed to teach English and Biology.  Apparently that's valued at my new school.





As a congratulations to myself I ordered my light-up LA Gear gold shoes.  They'll be here Tuesday!



I am such a freaking nerd!


A Biology teaching nerd!


Woot.

2 comments:

starlyn said...

That is fabulous!! And I'm so glad you are getting the sneakers. You are my hero!

This post has lit a much needed fire under my arse to get up and start looking for work. Part-time would be IDEAL!

Well done. You will be wonderful!

Mindy said...

WHOO HOOO!!!!! SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!
props and hugs to Joan for mentioning you- what an awesome mom in law! this is exactly what you needed- experience while not stressing you out for being away form jane for too long- and cash! cash is always good.
sooo very very happy for you!
and you got your shoes?!?! awesome- good for you :)