Saturday, February 27, 2010

Through Their Eyes

Over the past nine months I have been a stay-at-home-mom, which means I spend most of my time inside with nobody but myself, JG, and Alex to see me.  Which means I spent little to no time thinking about my appearance or doing much to "keep myself up."  So, when I got a job where I would be standing in front of 14-year-olds I knew I would have to make some wardrobe changes.

Especially in the bra area.

Why?  Well, because I know how much you love to hear about my boobs, let me tell you.  The four nursing bras I bought last year are all in the DDD/F area.  As time goes by your breasts learn how much milk to carry, and gradually they shrink down a bit.  Meaning, my nursing bras (or "feeding harnesses") were doing little in the way of supporting the ladies.  They were almost greeting my belly button on a daily basis.

I became painfully aware of this when I realized that standing in front of a group of 14-year-old boys with my hoots danglin' in the wind and standing at attention (pointy-wise) would not be a good idea.

You may naively ask, Why?

Um, have you met teenage boys?  Do you know what they think about?  Or what new hormones they have coursing through their veins?

To be honest, I was sort of terrified.  If you're a woman you may have experienced the "blank stare" from the opposite sex while walking, or sitting, or standing, or anywhere.  Those glazed over eyes that translate to "What were you saying?  I was distracted by your boobies, I swear they want me to touch them."

Is that going too far?  I just want to communicate to you how I have felt about my boobs over the years.  Sometimes it can work to your advantage, but in no way does it work that way in the classroom.  I had one professor who REALLY needed a better bra.  Her party hats were so distracting that I would get lost thinking about how she needed to cover them up, and then I wouldn't know what she had just said.

All this to say that having good coverage and support is a priceless tool in a teachers arsenal.

So I went to the Lactation Station yet again where I was set up.  I love going there.  LOVE IT.  When I told the owner that I was going to teach teenagers she knew I would want padded bras.  I didn't have to say it.  She knew.

I found three great bras and I'm very pleased.

However.

My boobs are still huge, double D's.  While I try to do my best in making them an understated part in the classroom, there are times when I move or point, or something, and catch someone looking at them.

Oddly enough, it has been the girls I catch.  I can't blame them though, mainly because I just admitted to looking at my professors boobs.

I promise not to write about boobs again for a while.

No comments: